See below for Fall plans.
Monthly Public Speaker Series: We will start again with Zoom online conferencing. The interesting speakers are lined up for the 2020-21 year. Our meeting is on the 1st Tuesday of the month from September to April.
- Meeting Time: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Location: We will send Zoom log-on information in the September Announcements. In the meantime, you should download the free Zoom app to your phone or computer.
- Tuesday, September 1, 2020: Rick Travis – North Texas Trees
- Tuesday, October 6, 2020: Becky Bender – Honey Bees
- Tuesday, November 3, 2020: Gwen Eishen – Native Life Cycles
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020: Holiday Party
- Tuesday, January 5, 2021: Bonnie Bradshaw – Coyotes and Critters
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021: Tuesday, February 2, 2021: Rob Kaaa – Critter Cams in the Preserve
- Tuesday, March 2, 2021: Jessica Crowley – Frogs
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021: Kevin Rudy – Texas Snakes
Fourth Saturday Nature Walk: These are fun, family walks, appropriate for anyone who wants to enjoy a guided walk in the Preserve. (Note: They are NOT approved for Master Naturalist Advanced Training.
- Location: 4th Sunday Nature Walk locations will vary throughout the Preserve, depending on the subject of the walk.
- Time: 2:00 p.m. to around 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday, September 27, 2020. 4th Sunday Nature Walk. Leaders: Rick and Lisa Travis will ID native North Texas trees up close and in person.
- Sunday, October 25, 2020
- Sunday, November 22, 2020
- Sunday, December 27, 2020. Leader: Stephanie Hanson – Collections From the Field
- Sunday, January 24, 2021
- Sunday, February 28, 2021. Leader: Tom Frey – 28th Annual Trout Lily Walk
- Sunday, March 28, 2021. Leader: Terry Comingore – Weather and Climate
- Sunday, April 25. 2021
- Sunday, May 23, 2021. Leader: Judy Aschner – Insects in our Preserve
- Important information: The natural-surface trails are not stroller-compatible; everyone must be able to walk approximately 1 mile. Clothing: Even in the heat, wear long pants and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. Apply insect repellent. Bring water. All participants and the parents of minors must sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Master Naturalists: The walks are sometimes approved for Advanced Training. Please check the MN calendar..
More Work Sessions
- Saturday, August 1, 2020 – 1770 Holford. 8:00 – 10:00 a.m.
- Saturday, September 05, 2020 – Start our 2020-2021 year.
- Saturday, October 10, 2020
- Saturday, November 7, 2020
- December through August – information to come.
- This event requires people who can walk at least a mile and do some fairly heavy yard work. For others, there is always trash to pick up along the way.
- Work Materials: If you have them, bring battery-operated weed whacker, chain-saw, and extra batteries. Also, if you have them, bring loppers and/or small tree saws.
- For Master Naturalists, this counts as Volunteer Hours on the Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest project.
- Safety Materials: Each work session will begin with a safety briefing. BRING WATER. Even in the heat, wear work gloves, long pants, protective eyewear, and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. If you have them, bring loppers and/or small tree saws. All participants and the parents of minors must sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Also, try our Self-Guided Interpretive Trail at 1787 Holford Road that was created by the North Texas Master Naturalist chapter in Dallas. Follow the trail markers and read about the significance of the area on your iPhone or on the downloadable flyer. https://springcreekforest.org/interpretive-1787-holford-rd/
The Executive Committee usually meets on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. The meetings are open to the public. For location, please contact David Parrish, President, Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest. Cell phone: 469-733-6089. Email: email@example.com.