Try our guided walk, every 4th Sunday of the month. These are fun, family walks, appropriate for anyone who wants to enjoy a guided walk in the Preserve. (Note: They are NOT approved for Master Naturalist Advanced Training.)
- Location: 4th Sunday Nature Walk locations will vary throughout the Preserve, depending on the subject of the walk.
- Time: 2:00 p.m. to around 3:30 p.m.
- Important information: The natural-surface trails are not stroller-compatible; everyone must be able to walk approximately 1 mile. Clothing: Even in the heat, wear long pants and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. Apply insect repellent. Bring water. All participants and the parents of minors must sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Sunday, February 23, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk and 27th Annual Trout Lily Walk
Location: 1770 Holford
Time: anytime between 2:00 p.m. – 3:00
Leader: Tom Frey
Tom always has new information about our Preserve and its ecology as you stroll through fabulous trees to find the Trout lilies, one of the first plants to flower in the spring. The tiny flowers are only in bloom from about mid-February through mid-March. Then, they disappear until next year.
- When you arrive, volunteers at the pavilion will welcome you and give you introductory information. Then, we will send you along the clearly marked trail to the Trout lily field. Tom Frey, our advisor, mentor, and friend will be at the Trout lily field.
- After you have seen the lilies and talked to Tom, you will walk along to the next marked spot, where we will have another knowledgeable naturalist that will tell you about the significance of that area of the Preserve. The volunteer naturalists will be at several stations along the trail in the Preserve from 2:00 until the last walkers go through.
- This format helps solve the problem of so many folks in line on the walk that they can’t hear the forest information.It also allows folks to go at their own pace rather than having to follow a group; no one gets impatient waiting for others to catch up and each can spend as much time at a station as they want. Some like to spend a lot of time taking photos and discussing the forest. Others like to hear just a little bit and then move on. With this walk format, it is your choice.
Sunday, March 22, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk Sunday, TBA
Sunday, April 26, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk TBA
More Work Sessions
March 7, 2020
Location: 1787 Holford Rd.
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
April 11, 2020
Location: Ranger Drive behind Naaman Forest High School.
Time: 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
May 09, 2020
Location: 1787 Holford.
Time: 9:00 a.m. – noon. Includes the end of year Bring Your Own Picnic starting at 11.
Also, try our Self-Guided Interpretive Trail at 1787 Holford Road that was created by the North Texas Master Naturalist chapter in Dallas. Follow the trail markers and read about the significance of the area on your iPhone or on the downloadable flyer. https://springcreekforest.org/interpretive-1787-holford-rd/
The Executive Committee usually meets on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. The meetings are open to the public. For location, please contact David Parrish, President, Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest. Cell phone: 469-733-6089. Email: email@example.com.