December 2019 –
Sunday, December 1, 2019: See above for information about the Bird Walk with Reba Collins. 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Reservations Required. Contact Reba at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot.
Tuesday, December 3, 2019: Holiday Pot-Luck Party at the home of Don and Barbara Baynham. Bring your family (children are welcome) and your favorite appetizer to share. We relax and talk about nature with other folks that care. Drinks are provided. We hope to see you there!
- Location: 5806 Firecrest Drive, Garland, TX 75044
- Time: 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, December 07, 2019: Monthly Work Session
- Location: 1787 Holford.
- Time: TIME CHANGE – noon – 2:00 p.m.
- Our big prairie needs continual attention from people that want to make sure it is still here for people to enjoy many years from now. Come and spend a couple of hours with us. At the 1787 Holford location, we not only have prairie, but we have a great example of native forest that runs along Spring Creek. This area is currently clear of that pernicious privet we are always pulling in other parts of the preserve, but we have many other chores to do.
- For Master Naturalists, this counts as Volunteer Hours on the Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest project.
Safety Materials: Each work session will begin with a
safety briefing. BRING WATER. Even in the heat, wear work gloves, long
pants, protective eyewear, and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your
protection from poison ivy and thorns. If you have them, bring loppers
and/or small tree saws. All participants and the parents of minors must
sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Sunday, December 22, 2019: 4th Sunday Nature Walk – Winter Trees
Try our new, regularly scheduled guided walk, every 4th Sunday of the month. These are fun, family walks, appropriate for anyone who wants to enjoy a guided walk in the Preserve. (Note: They are NOT approved for Master Naturalist Advanced Training.)
- The December guide is David Parrish who is a North Texas Master Naturalist and is on the Garland Parks and Recreation Department advisory board. He will lead you through our amazing forest, showing you how to identify trees even after the leaves fall, using bark and growth patterns. We hope you plan on coming.
- Location: 1770 Holford. (Note – 4th Sunday Nature Walk locations will vary throughout the Preserve, depending on the subject of the walk.)
- Time: 2:00 p.m. to around 3:30 p.m.
- Important information: The natural-surface trails are not stroller-compatible; everyone must be able to walk approximately 1 mile. Clothing: Even in the heat, wear long pants and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. Apply insect repellent. Bring water. All participants and the parents of minors must sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
Saturday, January 18, 2020 AND Sunday, January 19, 2020: Bird Walks with Reba Collins, Master Birder. Saturday, 8:00 – 9:30 a.m. 1787 Holford. Do you want to learn what birds winter in Spring Creek Forest? Come for a morning walk and learn to identify some of our wintering birds. Reservations required: Limited to 10 people per walk. Contact Reba at email@example.com to reserve a spot. Dress for the weather. Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring binoculars. If it has been raining, rain boots may be appropriate.
More Nature Walks and Events – details to come
Saturday, December 7, 2019 – 9th Annual “Christmas is for the Birds” event for children in pre-school and elementary school
Sunday, December 22, 2019 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk Saturday,
January 18, 2020 – Bird Walk with Reba Collins Sunday,
January 19, 2020 – Bird Walk with Reba Collins Sunday,
January 26, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk Sunday,
February 23, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk and 27th Annual Trout Lily Walk
Sunday, March 22, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk Sunday,
April 26, 2020 – 4th Sunday Nature Walk Note – The locations of 4th Sunday Nature Walks will vary throughout the Preserve, depending on the subject of the walk. Be sure to check the latest announcements.
Also, try our Self-Guided Interpretive Trail at 1787 Holford Road that was created by the North Texas Master Naturalist chapter in Dallas. Follow the trail markers and read about the significance of the area on your iPhone or on the downloadable flyer. https://springcreekforest.org/interpretive-1787-holford-rd/