Things to Do
During the Covid-19 safety activities, getting outdoors can have positive effects on mind and body. Please get outside an enjoy the Preserve’s trails while still practicing social distancing. A map of the trails is available here. A map to the guided interpretive trail is available here.
Collections from the Field
Collections from the Field is a place-based community project that works at the intersection of art and the environment to offer a place for artistic contemplation, idea sharing, and reflection on the natural beauty of Spring Creek Forest Preserve located in Garland, Texas. This site functions as an online gallery space that emulates the creative storytelling of a field notebook to showcase art done by people like you that reflects the beauty, history, and ecology of Spring Creek Forest Preserve. View more at http://collectionsfromthefield.com/.
Monthly Work Session
Saturday, August 1, come to our work session at 1770 Holford. Just two hours in the cool of the morning – 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. No problem staying 6 feet apart – there is plenty of space and it will make you feel like a new person to get out in the middle of nature and help the Preserve. However, face masks are required, at least while you check in. After that, if you have enough space, you can remove the mask.
We will break into teams and do several projects: weed & mulsh the native plant garden, clean out some woody plants, and other projects to be determined by the 1st. Each team will have a knowledgeable volunteer so you know exactly what plants should be removed.
BRING WATER. Also, even in the heat, wear good work gloves, long pants, protective eye-wear, and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. If you have them, bring loppers and/or small tree saws. And, don’t forget, face masks are required.
All participants and the parents of minors must sign our Liability Waiver. All minors 16 yrs. and younger must be accompanied by an adult. For Master Naturalists, this counts as Volunteer Hours on the Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest project.
Future Work Sessions
- Saturday, September 05, 2020 – Start our 2020-2021 year.
- Saturday, October 10, 2020
- Saturday, November 7, 2020
- December through August – information to come.
4th Sunday Nature Walks
Time: 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
The locations of 4th-Sunday Nature Walks will vary throughout the Preserve depending on the subject of the walk. Be sure to check the latest announcements.
- Sunday, September 27, 2020. 4th Sunday Nature Walk. Leaders: Rick and Lisa Travis will ID native North Texas trees up close and in person.
- Sunday, October 25, 2020
- Sunday, November 22, 2020
- Sunday, December 27, 2020. Leader: Stephanie Hanson – Collections From the Field
- Sunday, January 24, 2021
- Sunday, February 28, 2021. Leader: Tom Frey – 28th Annual Trout Lily Walk
- Sunday, March 28, 2021. Leader: Terry Comingore – Weather and Climate
- Sunday, April 25. 2021
- Sunday, May 23, 2021. Leader: Judy Aschner – Insects in our Preserve
- Important information: The natural-surface trails are not stroller-compatible; everyone must be able to walk approximately 1 mile. Clothing: Even in the heat, wear long pants and sturdy shoes (no sandals) for your protection from poison ivy and thorns. Apply insect repellent. Bring water. .
- Our guided walks every 4th Sunday of the month are fun, family walks, appropriate for anyone who wants to enjoy a guided walk in the Preserve.
Click on for Future Activities
Monthly Public Speaker Series: the 1st Tuesday of the month from September to April. These are the Fall plans.
- Meeting Time: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Location: information to come
- Tuesday, September 1, 2020: Rick Travis – North Texas Trees
- Tuesday, October 6, 2020: Becky Bender – Honey Bees
- Tuesday, November 3, 2020: Gwen Eishen – Native Life Cycles
- Tuesday, December 1, 2020: Holiday Party
- Tuesday, January 5, 2021: Bonnie Bradshaw – Coyotes and Critters
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021: Rob Kaaa – Critter Cams in the Preserve
- Tuesday, March 2, 2021: Jessica Crowley – Frogs
- Tuesday, April 6, 2021: Kevin Rudy – Texas Snakes
- Summer break
- For Master Naturalists, this often counts as 1 hour Advanced Training, but check the MN schedule to be sure.
Do you have suggestions? If you have ideas for speakers or topics for future programs, please email your suggestions to Becky Sans, firstname.lastname@example.org.
May – August 2020: No meetings. This is summer break
Do you have suggestions?
If you have ideas for speakers or topics for future programs, please
email your suggestions to Becky Sans, email@example.com.
Make a donation! Your donation helps the all-volunteer Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest offer public lectures, conduct habitat management workdays, and offer public nature walks. Please mail your tax-deductible donation to: Preservation Society for Spring Creek Forest, Attn: Treasurer, P.O. Box 450176, Garland, TX 75045-0176