Local parks and trails
Weekend Wetlands Walks
Weekend Wetlands Walks. The term "wetlands" typically conjures up images of swamps and marshes—and that’s good! The problem is that many people don’t think wetlands exist in the Metroplex at all. There ARE wetlands in our areas…freshwater marshes, bottomland hardwoods and riparian areas, to name a few. Many of these wetlands are accessible to the
public and offer a range of recreational opportunities. Below is a list of places within driving distance of the Metroplex where wetlands can be found. Contact numbers are also listed
1. Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge
South shore of Lake Texhoma, Denison, Texas. Hwy 75 to outskirts of Sherman; west on FM 1417 north past FM 691 Junction for 1.5 miles;
west on County Road. Refuge office 903/786-2826
2. Heard Natural Science Museum
North on Hwy 75 to McKinney; right on Hwy 121 intersection; follow signs. Information 214/562-5566
3. Winters Park/Spring Creek Forest Preserve Garland, off Hwy 78; north to Holford Road. Preservation Society 214/205-2750
4. John Paul Jones Park Garland off I-10 on Lake Ray Hubbard. Information 214/205-2750
5. Woodland Center Basin Trails Garland. Off east Miller on Lake Ray Hubbard. Information: 214/205/2750
6. Fair Oaks Park Dallas. Northwest of White Rock Lake. off Fair Oaks Drive. Information: Dallas Parks & Reservation, 214/670-4100
7. White Rock Lake Park & Fish Hatchery Off Loop 12 on Mockingbird Lane. Dallas Parks & Recreation 214/670-4100
8. Caddo Lake East on I-20 to Marshall, Texas. Texas Parks & Wildlife. 1-800-293-3841.
9. Lemmon Lake Preserve Dallas. Hwy 75 South, from Loop 12 (Ledbetter Drive South Dallas), to River Oaks; east to Preserve. Dallas Parks & Recreation. 214/670-4100
10. McCommas Bluff Preserve Dallas. Take Longbranch south from Loop 12 (Longbranch becomes Riverwood at dead end; west to Preserve. Dallas Parks & Rec. 214/670-4100
11. Dinosaur State Park Glen Rose. Hwy 67 to Glen Rose; follow State Park signs. State Park Office 817/897-4588
12. Cedar Ridge Preserve (formerly Dallas Nature Center
Dallas. Take Loop 12 to Hwy 1382 (Mountain Creek Parkway at Wheatland Road). Located at 7171 Mountain Ceek Pkwy. Exec. Director 214/296-1955.
13. Joe Pool Lake Duncanville. South of I-20 and west of Hwy 1382. Carrollton Parks & Wildlife, 214/466-3080.
14. River Legacy Park
Arlington. On Trinity River; west of Hwy 360 (Cooper) and north of I-20. Arlington Parks & Recreation. 817/459-5474.
15. L.B .Houston Nature Area
West Dallas, West of I-35, off Royal Lane. Dallas Parks & Recr. 214/670-4100
16. Elm Fork Nature Preserve Carrollton. West, off Sandy Lake Road; from I-35 to R.J.McInnish Park. South throuth park entrance to Preserve. Information 214/466-3080
17. Lake Lewisville Environmental Learning Center Lewisville. From Dallas, I-35 north to intersection Hwy 121; exit right (east) on 121; continue 4 miles to Fish Hatchery Rd. Left at signal light – ignoring "Dead End" & "No Outlet" signs. Information 214/436-2215
18. Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge Fort Worth. From Dallas, take Hwy 183 to Loop 820 West; exit off Hwy 199 (Jacksonville Hwy). Cross Lake Worth bridge and continue 2 miles to green highway sign (FW Nature Center) Museum office 817/237-1111
19. Bob Woodruff Park Plano, TX. 2601 San Gabriel Drive located east of Central Expressway between Parker Rd. East and E Park Blvd East. 972-941-7250