November 2, 2005
(click images to enlarge)
Taken close to the intersection of W. Buckingham Road and N. Shiloh Road in Garland, this sister stream to Spring Creek drains into the Elm Fork of the Trinity River below Lake Ray Hubbard. Duck Creek is also the name of any early settlement nearby: "
The first Duck Creek, at the present junction of Garland Road and Duck Creek, had its beginning as one of the original settlements of the Peters colony. Early settlers were attracted to the area by the many springs along the creek . . . By 1884 the community had a district school, three churches, two gristmills, three steam cotton gins, and three general stores. Its population of 100 included three physicians, two teachers, one carpenter and a carpenter-wagonmaker, one blacksmith, and one shoemaker "
Source: The Handbook of Texas Online
Fall colors - Although the area has a rainfall deficit of around 11 inches for the year, fall colors are appearing in cedar elm, hackberry, persimmon, box-elder, osage-orange, rough-leaf dogwood, western soapberry, fragrant sumac, and other species along the creeks. Duck Creek Greenbelt is located further downstream in Garland: refer to the Garland Parks and Recreation web site.